11.19.2008

What Was I Thinking?

Here is a classic from my childhood. Watch. Then, let's discuss.


Watching this now, I can't help but think: Why did I ever like this show? He-Man looks like a girl, the plot is ridiculous, and the bad guys are kinda wimpy. I have some questions. Who would want to defend a cave? What kind of people own tigers? How does he change costumes? Did the sword come from the Lady of the Lake or from some other farcical aquatic ceremony?

So, thinking about it now, I have formulated some hypotheses as to why I would enjoy such a show.

1) My sister dropped me on my head when I was a baby
2) When I wouldn't sleep as a child, my parents made me drink paint thinner
3) My dad, who always threw snowballs at me on my way home from school, accidentally got a rock in one of them, causing more damage than anticipated
4) I was forced to eat vegetables as a child, which studies have shown cause severe brain damage
5) The Office wasn't on back then
6) My mom wouldn't let me grow my hair out, so I had to live vicariously through fictional characters
7) Maybe the mind-altering experience of playing one year of soccer led me to such ridiculous shows
8) Lead paint in my room
9) Did I mention vegetables?

So, to all you parents out there. Be careful so that your child does not end up liking ridiculous shows like this. Remember, Wiggles-bad, Backyardigans-good

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As to your hypothesis on liking He-Man. I have done some research and have it on reliable sources and can with a fair degree of accuracy answer your questioning mind this way.
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No
6. Yes.
7.Yes
8. Yes
9. Yes

Anonymous said...

So what does it mean if “someone” were to still enjoy this cartoon at say, age 27? This is just hypothetical of course…

Kevin and Camille Jensen said...

Phill, maybe you should have put that post up as Anonymous. Just a thought for the future. But, to answer your question, that would be hy-pathetic-al indeed. Anonymous, I would hope that all your sources are primary sources. Send me your bibliography - not because I want to check your work, I just want to read about myself. Wouldn't that be cool?