11.04.2008

Anyone Interested?


There is a Washington-based company that really scares me. It is called Fungi Perfecti. They offer "everything for the mushroom enthusiast: ready-to-grow kits for indoor and outdoor mushroom cultivation, books on mushroom cultivation and identification, mushroom gifts, and tools for hobbyists and professionals."

OK. Let's break this down. First of all, if I want to eat fungus, I can just go get some off the floor of the shower in any locker room in America. I don't have to buy a home-growing kit. Second, I have never met a mushroom enthusiast. Maybe they live in the hinterlands of this great country, but I have never come across one. The closest I have come to seeing one is my Biodiversity professor. Third, indoor mushroom cultivation? This, flier says you can grow mushrooms "right on your kitchen counter!" as if that is a good thing. Isn't that why you clean your kitchen counter? To prevent mushrooms from growing there.

Fourth, books on mushrooms? What next? Books on railings? How boring. Fifth, mushroom gifts? GIFTS? Mushrooms are curses. How could they be gifts?

In any case, this company frightens me. I once saw a Dirty Jobs episode where Mike went to a mushroom farm. They are grown in manure, a fact I point out to my wife each time she eats a 'shroom. They are a fungus. Fungi are not to be eaten, or trusted. But, everyone can go to www.fungi.com for more details on this disturbing company.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

based on you writing this blog entry, apparently you don't find the growing, study or enthusiasm for mushrooms fascinating but you definitely have discovered the beauty of smoking them! Wow, this one was off the wall!