6.25.2009

Deep Thoughts

I need some help here (well, I need lots of help, but let's just start with baby steps, shall we?). I have been thinking nonstop about this topic since having a baby and cannot overemphasize the importance of the issue. It is certainly an issue I feel has merit and should be considered and commented on by the finest in the world (which is why I am asking all of my reader). It is an issue I am confronted with everday as a parent and one I would like clarification on.

Assuming you dress your baby in gender-appropriate clothes, what is the most frequent question asked by strangers about your baby? Any ideas? Yep, you guessed it. How old is he/she? Because this question is so frequently asked, you would think that there would be a clear-cut way of answering. But, there is not. That is my issue. How do I answer such a garden variety run of the mill question? I have no stinking clue!

Right after our little 'un was born, the answer was easy. 2 days. 5 days. Whatever the case may be. But what about 7 days? Is the baby 7 days old or 1 week old? I don't know. What about 10 days? 10 days old or 1 and a half weeks old? Who knows? What about 4 weeks? 30 days old, 4 weeks old, or 1 month old? I have no idea. What about now? 3 months old or 13 weeks old? Good question.

Don't even get me started on what we are headed towards. What about the months to years transition? When is that made? Oh my baby is 365 days old. Or is it 12 months? Or one year old? 540 days, 18 months or 1 and half years old? Do I say my daughter is 28 months old or do I just say she is "2"? Doesn't that discount her age by 4 months?

Maybe I am a little young to understand such deep things. After all, I am only 338.5 months old. Or is that 1354 weeks old? Or 28 years, 2.5 months? Whatever.

Any help? Please help me out. Thanks.

2 comments:

Rennie said...

According to the little counter on her blog she is 3 months 1 week and 6 days old as of 1:06 EST on June 26.

I think you should just keep telling everyone that she's 5 days old. They'll think she's amazingly alert, big for her age and since they'll probably think you're crazy they won't bother asking you again...they'll ask her Mom who WILL have the right answer.

Claudia said...

Here's my scheme: It's weeks until age 4 months, after that months until age 2, then 2, 2 1/2, 3, 3 1/2, 4, then whole years. What, you don't have a formula?