2.21.2009

Chanson du Jour

Well, I am back from Chicago and glad I made it out of town before the big storm. I missed it by mere minutes (hours really, but that's not as dramatic). Chicago was fun, especially as I ventured to get to the school without taxis, airport shuttles or a rental car. Train, walk, bus, walk, train, school shuttle, hotel shuttle. I traveled for about 1.5 hours for about 8 bucks. That is living. But, I did get sick of everyone telling me "you must not be from around here" because I was not wearing a jacket, scarf, and gloves despite it being 20 degrees. Then I had to explain to them that: no I am not from around here, I am from Texas, I like the cold, I just wish this blasted wind would stop blowing, the wind cuts right through my suit pants and I can no longer feel my legs, no I will not hold your child, no I did not vote for Obama, yes I do think MJ is the greatest basketball player ever (besides Tiny Tim), yes I have had the pizza here, yes I have been to Navy Pier, Texas is 75 degrees right now, does this train go to my stop?, do you know where the medical school is?, etc. etc. ad nauseam. But, all in all it was a lovely trip.

My compliments to the bloggo-filler-inner. She did a great job and really blindsided me with the Proclaimers song. Nice find indeed. I am going back to traditional Scottish music for today's songs.

Enjoy The Jaqueline Waltz by Brandon McPhee


Now hear Itchy Fingers and Scotland The Brave by The Band of the Royal Regiment of Scotland


Now, sit down, relax, and get ready as I introduce you to the Jimi Hendrix of pipers, Gordon Walker. It has been described that he has "magic fingers". Is he a myth? A legend? For real? You decide. This guy's talent is as unbelievable as the loch ness monster. But, you are about to witness live, undoctored video of Mr. Gordon Walker in what can only be described as "a jam session" with himself.


PS - Please excuse the random, pointless nature of this post. The equation is quite simple though: I like this music + no one reads blogs on the weekend = kind of strange post. Peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aahhaahh! a wee bit o' the old country. Makes me want to go rent Braveheart again!

the hadzic clan said...

FREEDOM!!!

gordon walker is the "jimi hendrix" of bagpipes. i was waiting for him to start playing it with his teeth and then set it on fire.

Kevin and Camille Jensen said...

OK maybe not Jimi Hendrix. Let's call him the William Wallace of pipers, shall we?