10.01.2008

Physics For Phill

Since Kevin and his friend Phill have such a great appreciation for Physics, we will regularly do physics problems on the blog for the rest of you who are physics junkies. We will start with a very basic problem (since I am by no means great at physics, they will all be easy problems). This problem has to do with vectors and utilizes very simple trigonometry. It is also very applicable to my life.

Question
A man pulls on his dog with a force of 70.0 N directed at an angle of +30.0 degrees to the horizontal. Find the x and y components of this force.

Answer
Let's call the horizonal component x and the vertical component y. We know that the hypotenuse is 70 N and that the angle is 30 degrees. Using SOHCAHTOA, we know we can find the x component by doing 70*cos30 and the y component by doing 70*sin30.

Doing that we get x=60.6N and y=35.5N

4 comments:

Jared and Melissa said...

I was off by a tenth of a newton. Dang! Thanks for the physics flashback.

Claudia said...

I think you are assuming a frictionless dog... Have you met Elvis? We might need to insert a factor somewhere...

jenfra said...

Ok, so you guys....Physics...blah...I love looking at your blog...kudos to the makers.

Megan said...

Hi Kevin and Camille! I am hoping next time you come up with a harder question, that was cake! Looks like all is going well for you guys. We need to get together one of these days. I have been watching for you in Lewisville. My email is michaelowen@grandecom.net