1.16.2009

A Little Love For The Benchwarmers

I have some news for those of you who did not know me in high school. You may have met me after high school and thought to yourself "Man, this guy is quite the stud. I bet he played some D1 college hoops/football/something. I would have loved to have been in his high school just so I could see such a ridunkulous talent develop."

Well, come to find out I was a benchwarmer on the JV team my sophomore year. After that, I got cut and played no athletics my Jr or Sr year. Stop laughing, this is not a joke. This is really what happened. Now pick yourselves off the floor (whether you fell because of laughter or shock) and hear me out. Just because I was a benchwarmer doesn't mean I didn't get some serious PT ("playing time" for the layperson). My compassionate coach would play me at the end of games that were out of reach, either way. In fact, I am the only person I have EVER met that has scored a 5 point play in basketball. True story. I will tell you one day if you beg.

But, sometimes us last second guys are the heroes. We're not just throw away players. Check this guy out.

82-foot game winning buzzer beater - Watch more Free Videos

Note: I have no evidence that this kid, like me, is a benchwarmer. In fact, he is probably a starter and maybe even their best player. The similarities between my career and his career end with the fact that we sometimes played the last 3 seconds of a game.

2 comments:

The Tait Family said...

pretty amazing stuff!

Anonymous said...

Even as a benchwarmer I hear you had "mad skills". Kind of a garbage man around the hoop picking up all the loose stuff.