1.14.2009

Chanson du Jour

I never realized how polarizing 80s music can be. Today will be a Chanson du Jour buffet. Take what you like, don't take what you don't like. But, if you take it, you must finish it. And I don't want to hear a word of complaint. Got it. Alright. Let's roll.

No Anonymous, I will not play "Hungry Like a Wolf" because that song does not exist. But please enjoy Hungry Like THE Wolf by Duran Duran (emphasis mine).


Forgive me if I misunderstood the hint, i blog, but here is my stab at the other of the greatest songs of the decade. Enjoy Rock Me Amadeus by Falco


My favorite song from the decade. Down Under by Men At Work. Little known fact about the band who paid such great homage to Australia: the lead singer was born in Scotland.


You can't have a complete discussion of 80s music without talking about Wham! and especially Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go. When this song came out, I don't think it was common knowledge that George Michael was...ummm...had...ummmm...that his real name was Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou. But now we know. And of course by changing his name he gave us one of the great TV characters on the (inexplicably) non-hit show Arrested Development.

My second favorite 80s song (for obvious reasons) is Turning Japanese by The Vapors. During my mission in the Land of the Rising Sun, I didn't feel like I had "turned Japanese" until I started eating natto everyday. That is clearly something one who is not Japanese would NEVER do.


One last internationally-themed 80s song for you before the buffet line ends for today. Enjoy Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo

4 comments:

the hadzic clan said...

i wish i were in tijuana eating bbq'd iguana. 5 degrees here ( yes! that would be fahrenheit). kudos to you on your song choices, you were spot on. you even get extra credit for the vapors. as for your previous query, we are both nurses. and i TOTALLY related to your brian regan posting about the "pain rating" system. now, i know why all my patients look at me like i just stepped off the moon when i ask that. another of life's mysteries solved by the anti-blog.

Anonymous said...

I made myself a vegimite sandwhich and enjoyed a trip around the worlds 80's style. Thanks. Wow, that song Hungry Like THE Wolf was great. I must have been thinking of another one.

Kevin and Camille Jensen said...

I LOVE VEGEMITE!!!!

Kevin and Camille Jensen said...

I laugh every time the nurses in the ER ask that question. SAY 8! SAY 8!